I am interested in designing and developing websites that the public can use with great ease. I possess a strong eye for detail and a passion for perfectionism. You will be hard pushed to find anyone as enthusiastic about web design/development as I am.
- Web Design: HTML, CSS, jQuery. Full knowledge of W3C web standards. Photoshop.
- Web Development: WordPress, PHP, MySQL, Apache.
- SEO and User Experience (UX): Experience and success in optimising websites for Search Engines whilst simultaneously optimising them for users.
- Accessibility and Usability: I create accessible websites and I believe in enhancing the user experience which can be achieved through a usable website.
Awards, nominations and press
- Shortlisted for ‘Best Freelancer/Micro-Enterprise’ in the 2009 and 2012 Big Chip Awards.
- Designed the web UI for Florence which won Best Public Sector Project (for Mediaburst) at Big Chip Awards 2011.
- Featured in The Drum’s Recommended Creative Freelancer Guide in 2010 and 2011.
- Won Best Not for Profit Project with Cahoona for the Band on the Wall website at the 2010 Big Chip Awards.
Freelance Web Designer / Developer, June 2008 — present day
- High profile clients include: LOVE Creative, Stardotstar* and mediaburst amongst others allowing me to work as part of a team for top brands like Playstation, EA Games, Warburtons, Boots, The Rolling Stones and Manchester United.
- Creating the highest quality work and communicating with the client at all stages to ensure a great website is always produced.
- Designed the WordPress theme, Dylan which has been downloaded over 5,500 times since its launch.
Aspiration Media Ltd / Soapy Co Ltd — Web Developer, November 2007–September 2008
- Lead Developer on the Cart45 project. An easy-to-use ecommerce application for small businesses.
- Rewrote the entire front and backend code of ecommerce website to accommodate a new design and to improve usability, accessibility and SEO.
Note: Soapy Co was a Manchester-based start-up; it is now defunct.
Ichameleon Ltd — Web Developer, October 2006–October 2007
- Ichameleon Ltd (now Chameleon Interactive) are a web design firm that specialise in providing CMS for charitable and non-profitable organisations.
- Responsibilities included: extending and installing the in-house CMS, Design, Front-end development, SEO, requirements gathering and client liaison.
JJB Sports Plc — Web Coordinator, June 2005–October 2006
- Covered numerous areas in web design, development and site management from designing emails to adding new features to the ecommerce site.
- Rewrote the XHTML/CSS of the main JJB website, which increased the SEO and accessibility of the website. These changes resulted in the website’s Add to Basket conversion jumping from 1.3% to 3.85% in April 2006.
- Achieved a number 1 ranking in Google (UK) for some high profile keywords including ‘nike trainers’. Which, on average, added up to thousands of pounds worth of sales per annum.
The Manchester Metropolitan University, 2001–2005
Computing BSc (Hons): including a year-long work placement for Manchester City Council as a web designer.
References are available on request.